Faculty Assembly Minutes Archive

January 31st, 2011

Chair: Susan Camp

Recorder: Sarah Lewis


Members Absent: M. Nojan, C. Thompson, T. Ramalho, Educational Administration Department, K. Cooper, K. Macey

                        The meeting was called to order at 3:11 PM.


I.                   Approval of Agenda

The agenda was approved as distributed.


II.                Approval of November 29th, 2010 Minutes

The minutes were approved as distributed.


III.             FA Chair's Report - S. Camp

The Chair began her report by stating that faculty members have until today to submit nominations to Barbara Shaffer for the Library Director Search Committee.  They will be electing a faculty from EACH school or college. She also reported that ALL Program blanket deviations MUST go through APC or Graduate Council.  The registrar is not able to give a blanket deviation.  Liz Schmitt and Julie Pretzat will update us on Middle States at the next FA meeting on Feb 14 and again on April 18. Also, Winfield Ihlow will report on University Faculty Senate briefly today and in then in detail at the General Faculty meeting on Feb 14.

She then continued her report by discussing students parking in employee lots.  She emailed Chief Adam asking about why SUNY Oswego gives students a 5-day window to register for parking.  She showed Chief Adam's opinion of the parking situation and she stated:

"...is that this rule is fair in its intended goal for students but somewhat archaic in that when it was first institutionalized we did not have on-line parking services, electronic pay for permits etc.etc. Today's student and campus employees, be they Faculty or Staff, are afforded the ability to register their vehicle months before the semester begins. They can register on-line and have their permit mailed to them. It is not like the "good old days" when students had to wait in long lines the first week of classes in person to pay for their parking sticker. I think a compromise of perhaps 2-3 days to allow for late registrants would be a fair revision to this rule. To change the rule to a lesser period of time we would need to have a recommendation moved forward by the parking committee to present to President's Council."

            Dr. Camp then stated that a faculty representative could bring that issue forward and that UP is citing registered students parking in Faculty lots from the beginning of the semester.

Dr. Camp then asked Assembly members to please bring a reusable cup to FA for your refreshing beverages.

IV.             Reports of Councils, Committees, and Task Forces

  • Personnel Policies will meet soon to act on the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Professional Service and Faculty Service.
  • Academic Policies Council met on December 3rd, 2010.  They discussed the request to embed a GPA requirement in programs of the Department of Curriculum and Instruction was discussed, but was sent back for clarification.  The proposal to revise the B.A. and minor programs in Anthropology was discussed, but was sent back for clarification as well.  The proposal to revise the Health Science Minor was found to still lack required documentation.  Lastly the council continued discussion of the review of proposals for blanket deviations.  Council concluded that blanket deviations  requires APC or Graduate Council approval (those currently in effect and any future ones)  APC has asked that the Registrar's office send these to APC and/or Graduate Council.
  • General Education met on Dec. 1 and approved revisions to the writing plan for Chemistry.  We also discussed our ideas for an ideal general education program. On Dec. 8, we discussed a group of courses put forward by IPAC.  We appointed a delegation to visit IPAC.
  • Priorities and Planning Council met on December 3rd, 2010.  The Bachelor of Arts, Broadcasting and Mass Communication/Master of Business Administration was previously approved but later the total number of credit hours was increased by 3 because it was discovered that MAT 208 was a hidden prerequisite and was subsequently reapproved.  The Anthropology department reintroduced an updated version of Anthropology 210 (History of Ethnological Theory) to the core of their major and minor.   To keep the total number or required credits the same, they reduced the number of elective courses.  This was approved by the Council.  The proposal for the Athletic Coaching Minor was discussed and it was decided to ask Sandra Moore to attend our next meeting to talk about expected enrollment and about whether there are any resource issues related to the addition of PED 326 and PED 312.  The Council also set dates for their Spring meetings, which include January 28th, February 11 & 25, March 11, April 1, 15 &29. 
  • Information Technology Council We met on Dec 10.

1) We moved to recommend the prioritized SCAP (Student Computing Access Program) list to Faculty Assembly.
2) As a result of our last report on academic dishonesty issues in the information technology age, we shared our concerns with David Bozak, who is chair of the Committee on Intellectual Integrity. David said that they are in the process of creating new digital signage with examples and an on-line quiz in Angel on academic honesty that students must earn 100% to receive a certificate, which will then be valid for 1 year. He also said that they are interested in hearing of more examples, as they are continually updating the quiz bank. For more information, see:http://www.oswego.edu/administration/provost/integrity.html. Greg Ketcham shared some additional information on the development of the academic honesty quiz with FA members.

  • Graduate Council was scheduled to meet on December 3rd; however, because of inclement weather, there was no quorum.  The next meeting is scheduled for February 4th at 8am in the English Department Conference Room.
  • Admissions and Student Services Council will be called together soon. 
  • Undergraduate Curriculum Council was scheduled to meet December 6th, but meeting was cancelled due to weather.
  • Academic Outreach will be scheduling spring meetings this week.
  • Faculty Senate reported that the main issues that were discussed by the Senate President included the SUNY Strategic Planning, General Education, the leaky Education Pipeline from K through College Graduation, and "credit-creep" in programs as it affects time-to-graduation rates.  He also reported that the state budget will not be presented until tomorrow, February 1st, so conversations about university funding could only be speculative but there was discussion of a new formula for campus funding related to performance ratios, and also of possible further tuition hikes. 

During the Comprehensive Colleges Sector meeting, discussion included seamless articulation agreements and General Education transfer.  Also, the Plattsburgh senator reported a serious governance issue related to General Education: the local Senate chose not to revise their total number of credits required for completion of their General Education Requirements under a short deadline set by their Interim Provost.  The Provost then by fiat imposed a new Gen Ed Curriculum on the campus. Such curriculum decisions are the prerogative of faculty.

A presentation by Johanna Duncan-Poitier, Chancellor's Deputy for the Education Pipeline and Vice Chancellor for Community Colleges spoke at some length about educational-community partnerships.  Also she discussed a great push was made for the Chancellor's Transforming Teaching initiative, stressing clinical rather than classroom training. 

A presentation by Provost David Lavallee, Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs reported that there should be NO program deactivation or suspension without careful consideration.  He also spoke about "credit creep".

A presentation and Budget Report by Kathleen Preston, Interim Vice Chancellor for Financial Services and Health Affairs reported that since there is no governor's budget proposed, there was very little she could say of substance, but did presume that there will be cuts in the SUNY share of the budget and that we will need to share the sacrifice, and eventually we will come through these difficult times. 

Chancellor Zimpher's responses to the sector concerns of the Comprehensive Colleges was that we need to figure out ways to work collaboratively and help each other, finding efficiencies, working regionally, ect.  She stated that we are in great trouble because" the coming cuts will probably be much larger than recent cuts."  On Friday evening, Chancellor Zimpher made a multi-media presentation, which was a combination of enthusiasms for SUNY, and dire warnings of the upcoming budget shortfall and belt-tightening. 

There was also a report by the Faculty Council of Community Colleges (FCCC) by Tina Good.  She stated that the FCC is looking for not just course transfer, but acceptance of General Education as a curriculum transferred in total from campus to campus.  In short, if a student completes a core curriculum at one campus, a receiving campus honors that completion, adding additional learning goals as appropriate.  There were also presentations from Student Association Representatives, a panel report on Shared Governance and AAUP, which included participation by Susan Camp, as well as various committee reports on Saturday morning.

  • Catalog Coordinator reported that last fall chairs, deans and directors where allowed to request changes to blurbs and give reminders as courses and or programs that had passed through governance.  She has just finished proofing those changes along with business that went through governance last fall.  She has just finished proofing those changes, and a new draft will be available soon.  There were no new changes except for items that have gone through governance will be made at this time.  But she reported that she does want it to be a current as possible. Currently she is working on retirees/locations, ect.
  • Campus Concept Committee will meet Thursday Feb 3.
  •  Writing Across the Curriculum Steering Committee reminded the Assembly of the Dean's Award for Writing.  If there were any questions about the process or if your department has chosen a winner for this award, please contact Michael Murphy.
  • Designing a General Education Task Force is pulling information from a variety of different sources, and is working on deciding a meeting time.  The Task Force is hoping to have something for the Provost in 2 weeks.
  • Assessment Advisory Committee met on Tuesday, December 7th.  At that meeting we were informed Brad Wray is making plans for an Assessment Conference to be hosted here later in the spring semester.  The Advisory Committee continues to discuss best practices and issues related to using assessment to improve student learning.  It is becoming increasingly clear that the committee's work could be facilitated if our campus had a more efficient curriculum management system in place so that assessment documents and departmental and program self-studies, for example, could be more easily accessed in order for this committee to draft policies and other documents related to assessment for the Assembly's deliberation.  This has been a frequent topic of conversation for this particular committee.  The February meeting will be announced shortly.
  •  Finals Times Changes Rameen Mohammadi discussed how an advisory committee works with the Registrar's Office.  The changes that were made in the Fall semester were to benefit those that had class times that were not in the middle of the day, (i.e. 8am or 4:30 pm.) by giving them exam times that were earlier in the week rather than later. This was changed since many people did not like these changes in the Fall.  He explained the change in an email that was sent out over the listserv, since the explanation of the changes was not sent out by the Registrar's Office.  He suggested that a discussion be held with concerned Faculty or with Faculty Assembly about changes, and Dr. Camp stated that this would be discussed at FAEB.

V.   Sustainability Report- J. Moore

Mr. Moore introduced himself as the Sustainability Coordinator for SUNY Oswego. He then began his report by stating what the college is doing for sustainability and how the campus plans to move ahead.  In 2007, President Stanley signed the ACUPCC, in 2008 the campus became involved in the Academic and Operational Committees, in 2009 the campus planned a Climate Strategy and a Climate Action Plan, and most recently in 2010, the campus signed the STARS Commitment.

Mr. Moore then continued his report by stating some of the proud achievements that the campus has had towards sustainability.  He reported that since 2007 all new construction on campus has met or exceeded LEED Silver. Also on campus the ZipCar program has been introduced as well as the 2009 Senior class established an 'Eco Fund' for new programs.  There have also been many community programs hosted by the college, as well as the introduction of the wind turbine at Lee Hall.  Mr. Moore also stated that the new Sciences Engineering and Technology Building and the Renovations for the School of Education are targeted to meet the LEED Gold projects.  Lastly he stated that the college has introduced the development of a Sustainability Minor and the Village was awarded LEED Gold.

Mr. Moore then continued his report by stating that there are many new challenges that await SUNY Oswego.  Some of these challenges include the Sustainability Tracking Assessment and Rating System (STARS) for 2011, as well as ACUPCC 2011 Requirements, which include a Revised Climate Action Plan.  Other challenges also include a development of sustainability related curriculum and programs as well as communication of our efforts for sustainability. 

To be able to meet the challenges that await SUNY Oswego as well as more sustainability on the campus, Mr. Moore announced the creation of the President's Climate Commitment and Environmental Sustainability Team.  The charge of this Team is to integrate sustainability into curriculum and campus life, as well as to research develop and implement sustainability.  Also, this Team is charged with searching for Government and Foundation Grants, gifts and sponsored research opportunities, to measure, evaluate, communicate and archive sustainability, as well as create community programs and to engage others. 

Mr. Moore then continued to state that this Team would prepare and present periodic reports, review and publish reports for sustainability organizations, develop and maintain campus policies associated with sustainability and to communicate and archive efforts and publications. 

The make up of this Team would include two co-chairs, one appointed by the President, and one elected by Faculty Assembly.  There would also be 8 representatives appointed by the President, as well as 5 representatives elected by Faculty Assembly, one from each school and the Library.  There would also be two representatives from Student Association as well as Chairs of Academic and Operations Committees acting as Ex-officio members. 

Mr. Moore concluded his report by asking people to get involved in sustainability, and that there are many committees on campus that work towards the same goal, as well as many student groups working towards sustainability.  He stated that he hoped to have representatives elected from Faculty Assembly and to be able to hit the ground running and to be able to have their first meeting in February.

VI.             Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Process Report--Jim Early

Dr. Early began his report by discussing why he was making this presentation to the Assembly.  He stated that the reasons included being able to anticipate the Assembly's questions, to encourage Assembly members to involve your UCC rep and Library Liaison in the proposal process, and for all faculty to be able to understand UCC's charge, and in turn be able to help streamline approvals. He then reviewed the charge of UCC with the Assembly, which included:

"The council shall review each proposed course in light of its:

1. Consistency with the College's mission and academic standards;

2. Consistency with the mission and academic expectations of the sponsoring school or college;

3. Appropriateness to the sponsoring department;

4. Utilization of library and information resources; and

5. Possible redundancy with existing courses." 

Dr. Early then discussed considerations that are looked at when a proposal for a program comes to UCC.  This includes the Course Numbering, which include whether the number has been previously used and if it is the appropriate rigor and prereqs for the number that is given for the course. He then reviewed what is stated about course numbering in the catalog, which states that courses are numbered as follows:

100-199 - Courses without prerequisites

200-299 - Courses may have some prerequisites

300-399 - Courses with intermediate level difficulty and prerequisites

400-499 - Courses with advanced level difficulty and prerequisites

He then continued to state that another consideration that is looked at is the prereqs themselves, and whether they are unambiguous, can be encoded into Banner, and do not contain GPA requirements. Also, Course Objectives are looked at to see whether it is concrete and students are able to understand expectations, and are measurable to be able to facilitate assessment.  Justification for the course is also looked at, as well as the bibliography, which includes the timeliness and consultation with Library Liaison. 

Dr. Early then stated that the UCC reps are here to help, and encouraged faculty to contact your UCC Rep and involve them early on in the process, and to also contact your Library Liaison to find out about new materials that may be relevant to your course.

VII.          Unfinished Business

                           --Revisions to Athletic Coaching minor

Changes that were made to the minor included changes in the names of some of the courses since the titles were incorrect.  There was also removal of some courses since they are no longer taught, as well as an addition of two courses.  There was also an addition of an elective for EMT, as well as a clarification of the PSY 322/323 requirement.  This was passed by the Assembly unanimously.


VIII.       New Business
 --SCAP Proposal 

After the motion to waive the two week rule was passed, the SCAP proposal was briefly discussed and passed by the Assembly unanimously.



 The meeting was adjourned at 4:21 PM.