Faculty Council & Standing Committees
Student Involvement Awards
Awards recognize and reward students and their organizations whose involvement has made SUNY Oswego and the surrounding community a better place to live and learn. Free; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 312-5420; email@example.com.
Location: Arena and Convocation Hall, Campus Center
Tuesday, April 22, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Indie concert: Arms & Sleepers, American Royalty and Gianni Paci
Arms & Sleepers is an electronic duo from Boston. American Royalty is a psych-pop trio from Brooklyn. Guitarist Gianni Paci is a recent graduate of New York University and is influenced by Buddy Holly and The Beatles. Performer Magazine recently featured him on its cover. $5 at the door; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 312-4581.
Location: Lounge, Hewitt Union
Friday, April 25, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Women's Lacrosse vs. Brockport
Location: Oswego, NY- South Athletic Field
Saturday, April 19, 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Softball vs. Potsdam
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Softball Field
Sunday, April 20, 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, May 15, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Reunion Weekend 2014
More information: alumni.oswego.edu/reunion
Location: SUNY Oswego, New York 104, Oswego, NY, United States
Thursday, June 5, noon - noon
Faculty Council is composed of faculty representatives from each of the six academic departments in the School of Education, plus professional staff and candidate representatives. The Associate Deans are ex officio members. Faculty Council:
- Makes recommendations to the Dean and provides faculty leadership to accomplish the long and short-term goals of the School of Education;
- Develops and implements unit-wide academic policies and procedures;
- Reviews and makes recommendations regarding departmental curriculum and program initiatives to the Dean; and
- Organizes faculty participation in the SOE's Standing Commmittees and General SOE Faculty meetings.
Membership on any of the SOE's Standing Committees listed below is open to all SOE faculty and professional staff. Candidate and school partner participation is encouraged. Faculty Council and the Dean work together to ensure that there is Faculty Council and Administrative Advisory Committee representation on each committee to facilitate unit-wide communication on these important issues:
- The Assessment Committee develops policies and procedures for implementing our Unit Assessment System and using data to improve programs across the unit. The group meets monthly to review policies/procedures and data summaries; and makes recommendations to the Dean and departments.
- The Diversity Committee makes recommendations to the Dean and Faculty Council to increase the diversity of the student body, the faculty, and field placements; and to increase attention to diversity issues in curriculum/programs, professional development, campus culture and the larger community. It meets monthly and also sponsors campus-wide diversity events (e.g., presentations, brown bag lunches).
- The Educational Technology Committee concerns itself with supporting faculty and candidates in their use of technology in instruction, both on campus and in school settings. The committee meets as needed, usually once or twice a semester.
- The Field Placement Committee serves as an advisory group to the Field Placement Office, supporting unit-wide efforts to enhance collaborative relationships with school partners to increase the number of high quality placements for candidates. The group also makes recommendations on field placements policies and procedures and seeks to improve the speed and efficiency of making placements. School administrators regularly participate in the monthly meetings.
- The Professional Development School Committee is composed of faculty and school personnel involved in our Professional Development Schools (PDS) and Professional Development Parnership Schools (PDPS). The group meets two or three times each semester, convened by the faculty member serving as the SOE's PDS Liaison.
- The SOE's Peer Review Committee makes recommendations to the Dean about personnel decisions concerning Discretionary Salary Increases (DSI), promotions, retention and continuing appointment (tenure). It has membership from each department and follows procedures defined by the SUNY Policies of the Board of Trustees and SUNY Oswego's Faculty Assembly Bylaws.