Applying for Initial Teacher Certification
Laker Turf Stadium kick-off ceremony
Prior to the men's soccer game, SUNY Oswego President Deborah F. Stanley will officially open the facility together with Vice President for Student Affairs Jerald Woolfolk, Director of Athletics Sue Viscomi and esteemed alumnus and member of the 1966 SUNYAC men's soccer championship squad Dan Scaia, a 1968 Oswego graduate. The first 200 students in attendance will receive a free "Laker Turf Stadium Kickoff" T-shirt and a free soft pretzel. Free. 312-3056.
Location: Laker Turf Stadiium
Tuesday, Sept 1, 3:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Concert: Bach cello suites by Matt Haimovitz
Renowned Israeli-born soloist Matt Haimovitz performs all six Bach cello suites, while visiting four Central New York locations. (The “moveable feast” begins with a Tuesday live-at-noon broadcast from the studios of WCNY FM (91.3), followed by a 3 p.m. appearance at the River’s End Bookstore. The musical tour resumes at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Tyler Gallery in Penfield Library.) The remaining suites at 7:30 p.m. Sheldon Hall: $15 ($5 for SUNY Oswego students), including parking in lots adjacent to and across Washington Boulevard from Sheldon Hall. http://www.oswego.edu/arts. 312-2141.
Location: Ballroom, Sheldon Hall
Wednesday, Sept 16, 7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Women's Soccer vs. St. Lawrence
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Soccer Field
Tuesday, Sept 1, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Men's Soccer vs. St. Lawrence
Location: Oswego, NY, Laker Turf Stadium
Tuesday, Sept 1, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
2015 New Jersey Event
Find out more and register: http://bit.ly/1T3Y0iT
Location: Ridgewood Country Club 96 W. Midland Ave., Paramus, N.J.
Thursday, Sept 17, 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, Sept 17, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
The Initial Certificate is the entry-level certificate for classroom teachers, issued in specific subject/grade titles. To be eligible for Initial Certification you must:
1. Successfully complete your specific program,
2. Successfully complete all required NYSED certification tests,
3. Have your fingerprints on file,
4. Complete the teacher certification application process and submit all necessary documents through the TEACH system.
NYSED has instituted an on-line application process for teacher certification. You will use this form, along with the other forms mentioned below, to help you in the application process. Teachers and school districts will need to use the TEACH system to verify these certificates.
Two Important Steps:
1. Once the Registrar's Office has verified the completion of your program, you will receive a copy of SUNY Oswego's Teacher Certification Authorization Form. You must fill this out and return it to SUNY Oswego's Registrar's Office in a timely manner. This authorizes Oswego to report your information to NYSED. Legally, we can't report this information without your permission.
2. In addition, you will need to apply online for teacher certification to complete the process. You do not need to wait to pass all of your certification tests before applying - you may apply once you are in your final semester.
You should print the TEACH Application Information Sheet with details about the on-line certification system and use it as a reference when using NYSED's on-line application system. Please read the instructions PRIOR to applying online. Additional information is provided by NYSED at this website. We highly suggest you use the TEACH online tutorial before starting your actual online application. You can fill in the blanks with information available from the unofficial transcript you will receive with your diploma, as well as the instructions provided with the Application Information Sheet.
The Award Title and Program Titles/Codes form includes program codes you will need for the application, including concentration titles.
Can I apply for teaching jobs before I receive my certificate?
Yes, you can apply for jobs before you receive your certificate. All school districts have access to the TEACH website to view your information. You should also access your account yourself and print your status page.
What do I do if my grad school/future employer wants a copy of my certificate?
You can give your graduate school or future employer a copy of your status page. If your future employer or graduate school is in New York State, it can also access your status.
How much do the certification exams cost?
On the right panel of this page, you can find a spreadsheet showing the latest costs as we know them. Check the official NYSED website for more information: http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/
When should I take the exams for Initial Teacher Certification?
Please note these are general guidelines only. You will take the certification exams when you are adequately prepared. We suggest you take the Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST) after completing your General Education requirements. The Educating All Students test (EAS) should be taken during your student teaching semester. The CST (revised) should be taken after completion of your concentration courses. You should prepare the edTPA during your student teaching semester.
How to I register for the edTPA?
1. Go to https://www.edtpa.com/ to begin the registration process.
2. Along the top menu bar, select CANDIDATES. Then select the INTEGRATED EDTPA PLATFORM PROVIDER SYSTEM along the right menu bar. (Our system is Tk20.)
3. Create an account and complete the registration process.
4. During registration, you are given a registration number. BE SURE TO KEEP THAT NUMBER because you will need it on Tk20 to transfer your work from Tk20 to Pearson.
How to I register for the ALST, EAS, CST-revised, and School Leadership examinations?
Go to the official NYSED website for more registration information and dates: http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/