Student Involvement Awards
Awards recognize and reward students and their organizations whose involvement has made SUNY Oswego and the surrounding community a better place to live and learn. Free; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 312-5420; email@example.com.
Location: Arena and Convocation Hall, Campus Center
Tuesday, April 22, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Indie concert: Arms & Sleepers, American Royalty and Gianni Paci
Arms & Sleepers is an electronic duo from Boston. American Royalty is a psych-pop trio from Brooklyn. Guitarist Gianni Paci is a recent graduate of New York University and is influenced by Buddy Holly and The Beatles. Performer Magazine recently featured him on its cover. $5 at the door; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 312-4581.
Location: Lounge, Hewitt Union
Friday, April 25, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Women's Lacrosse vs. Brockport
Location: Oswego, NY- South Athletic Field
Saturday, April 19, 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Softball vs. Potsdam
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Softball Field
Sunday, April 20, 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, May 15, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Reunion Weekend 2014
More information: alumni.oswego.edu/reunion
Location: SUNY Oswego, New York 104, Oswego, NY, United States
Thursday, June 5, noon - noon
- A two-year, full-time program leading to a Bachelor of Science degree is available on-campus for students who have earned an appropriate Associate degree.
- A part-time, off-campus program leading to a Bachelor of Science degree is available for students holding a high school diploma, its equivalent, or a 2-year Associate degree and appropriate work experience. Qualified students may enroll in SUNY Oswego's Vocational Education courses offered at strategically located sites in New York State. They are located in Albany, Binghamton, Coopers Plains, Gouverneur, Newburgh, Plattsburgh, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, and on-line via the SUNY Learning Network.
- Individuals with a B.S. degree related to their occupation may pursue teacher certification and/or the MSEd.
The major area of study in the degree program prepares you to teach your occupation. You may also seek this degree for reasons other than teaching as it provides depth of study concerning relationships with people, broadening of occupational knowledge, and developing expertise in working with others.
Planning your career is an on-going process. When you consider and investigate career futures, it is apparent that long-range planning should incorporate ways and means to achieve advancement within the occupation. At the same time, it would be wise to consider options available to you that lead to new career paths.
The level of educational preparation affects the progress of your career. Prepare now for new possibilities by checking with the Department of Vocational Teacher Preparation at SUNY Oswego. The Bachelor of Science degree in Vocational Education provides an excellent way to achieve new career objectives.
To Be An Occupational Teacher
Consider that every person, including yourself, who is interested in entering an occupation or improving within that occupation, must learn needed skills and related information. To learn efficiently and effectively, the services of a qualified vocational teacher are required.
The requirements to become a teacher of career and technical subjects in the State of New York incorporate learned occupational skills and knowledge with a planned collegiate level educational program required to develop needed competencies. SUNY Oswego's Vocational Teacher Preparation Department has constructed its program with teacher certification requirements as an integral component.
Appropriate Occupational Experience is Required
The amount of appropriate full-time occupational experience required in the subject area to be taught is determined by the years of educational preparation.
a.)High School Diploma or Equivalent - 4 years
b.) Appropriate Associate Degree - 2 years
c.) Appropriate Baccalaureate Degree - varies
During the admission process, occupational experience will be validated.
SUNY Oswego's Vocational Education program provides professional education coursework and student teaching experiences needed to meet New York State requirements for teaching career and technical subjects.
Students who have matriculated at SUNY Oswego will be assigned an advisor from within the department who will assist them in selecting coursework needed beyond professional education courses. Therefore, coursework culminates with teacher certification as well as the B.S. degree.
Career Paths to Vocational Teaching
If you are a high school student currently enrolled in a Vocational Program:
- Complete your studies in the vocational subject as well as all your required subjects in order to earn a high school diploma.
- Enroll at a community college in a technical Associate degree program related to your occupation.
- After earning an appropriate Associate degree, transfer to the SUNY Oswego where you can complete the B.S. degree program offered by the Department of Vocational Teacher Preparation.
- Meet with the 2-year college transfer counselor as soon as possible. At that time, determine course needs that will best suit transfer to the SUNY Oswego B.S. degree program in Vocational Education.
- Attend the full-time, on-campus program leading to teacher certification and a B.S. degree in Vocational Education.
- OR -
- Enroll in the part-time off-campus program leading to teacher certification and a B.S. degree in Vocational Education.
If you are currently working in an appropriate occupational area and have a high school diploma or its equivalent, contact the department office for an evaluation of your occupational experience. You may then:
- Enroll in the program leading to teacher certification and a B.S. degree in Vcational Education.
As each person's situation is unique, your best source of information is the Department of Vocational Teacher Preparation office. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive and application packet or to arrange for a phone or live appointment with a faculty adviser.