First Summer Session begins
Tuesday, May 28, noon - noon
Second Summer Session begins
Monday, June 17, noon - noon
Location: Oswego and vicinity
Thursday, June 6, noon - noon
Thursday, June 20, noon - noon
PI SIGMA ALPHA: NU BETA CHAPTER
What is Pi Sigma Alpha?
Founded in 1920 at the University of Texas, Pi Sigma Alpha is the national honor society for undergraduate and graduate students of political science. The success of the honor society at the University of Texas prompted other institutions to apply for chapters. Today over 460 chapters have been established in colleges and universities throughout the country. Pi Sigma Alpha is the only society of national scope that exists primarily to foster interest in political science among undergraduate and graduate students.
In 1983, the Nu Beta Chapter of the State University of New York at Oswego was established. Since that time, our local chapter has inducted nearly 200 members. Each member was selected based on his or her demonstrated exemplary scholarship and interest in political science.
What do we do?
As a local chapter of Pi Sigma Alpha, Nu Beta has a responsibility to stimulate scholarship and interest in political science among its members. We also try to promote public awareness and interest in government through several on-campus activities. Finally, we provide our members with numerous opportunities for scholarships, internships, employment and national recognition.
What are the selection criteria for membership?
To be selected for membership in the Nu Beta chapter of Pi Sigma Alpha, a student must meet the following qualifications:
- A junior or senior in good standing at the university
- Completion of a least four courses in political science
- A grade point average in all courses of 3.0
- A grade point average in all courses in political science of 3.0
What are the benefits of membership?
In addition to the fact that Pi Sigma Alpha membership looks great on your resume, you should also know about these great advantages:
- scholarships for graduate school
- recognition of academic excellence in political science
- formal induction ceremony and faculty reception
- certificate of initiation
- lifetime membership
- graduation medallion
- Federal Office of Personnel Management guarantees a higher entry level
- affiliation with the American Political Science Association and the American Society of Public Administration
Are you Interested?
If this brief introduction to Pi Sigma Alpha piques your interest, contact Dr. Warkentin. We hope you join us!