Dr. Alok Kumar
Laker Turf Stadium kick-off ceremony
Prior to the men's soccer game, SUNY Oswego President Deborah F. Stanley will officially open the facility together with Vice President for Student Affairs Jerald Woolfolk, Director of Athletics Sue Viscomi and esteemed alumnus and member of the 1966 SUNYAC men's soccer championship squad Dan Scaia, a 1968 Oswego graduate. The first 200 students in attendance will receive a free "Laker Turf Stadium Kickoff" T-shirt and a free soft pretzel. Free. 312-3056.
Location: Laker Turf Stadiium
Tuesday, Sept 1, 3:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Concert: Bach cello suites by Matt Haimovitz
Renowned Israeli-born soloist Matt Haimovitz performs all six Bach cello suites, while visiting four Central New York locations. (The “moveable feast” begins with a Tuesday live-at-noon broadcast from the studios of WCNY FM (91.3), followed by a 3 p.m. appearance at the River’s End Bookstore. The musical tour resumes at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Tyler Gallery in Penfield Library.) The remaining suites at 7:30 p.m. Sheldon Hall: $15 ($5 for SUNY Oswego students), including parking in lots adjacent to and across Washington Boulevard from Sheldon Hall. http://www.oswego.edu/arts. 312-2141.
Location: Ballroom, Sheldon Hall
Wednesday, Sept 16, 7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Women's Soccer vs. St. Lawrence
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Soccer Field
Tuesday, Sept 1, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Men's Soccer vs. St. Lawrence
Location: Oswego, NY, Laker Turf Stadium
Tuesday, Sept 1, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
2015 New Jersey Event
Find out more and register: http://bit.ly/1T3Y0iT
Location: Ridgewood Country Club 96 W. Midland Ave., Paramus, N.J.
Thursday, Sept 17, 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, Sept 17, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- B.S.-Meerut University, India
- M.S.-Meerut University, India
- Ph.D-Kanpur University, India (Thesis: "X-ray Spectra of Some Complex Compounds")
Professional Activities and Interests:
- National President of the American Chapter of the Indian Physics Association, 1995-97
- President, Sigma Xi (Oswego Chapter), 1995-96
- Co-Principal-Investigator. Project: Explorations in Mathematics and Physics (EMP96)
- Atomic Physics
- Chemical Physics
- History of Science
- Science Education
- President Award for Creative and Scholarly Activity or Research, SUNY Oswego. 2001-2002.
- NOVA/NASA Faculty Fellow, NASA Opportunities for Visionary Academics (NOVA), a program for education, science, mathematics, engineering and technology university faculty involved in the content education of future K-12 teachers. 2001-2002.
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, The State University of New York, 1996-1997.
- "Some Thoughts on Sharing Science", Ivan Brady and Alok Kumar, Science Education (USA) 84, 507-523 (2000).
- "Telling Stories: Some Remarks on Orality in Science", Scott Montgomery and Alok Kumar, Science as Culture (UK) 9(3) 391-404 (2000).
- Science in the Medieval World, S.I. Salem and A.Kumar, University of Texas Press, Austin, 1991 and 1996.
- Oswego program pitches math and science to youth, The Valley News, July 18, 1994, Fulton, NY.
- Course explores diversity in history of science, Update, October 20, 1993.
- The Physics of X-Rays, S.I. Salem and A.Kumar. A Chapter in the book, Horizons of Physics, Ed. A. W. Joshi, Wiley Eastern Ltd., India, 1989.
Recent Media Articles:
- “SUNY prof:” Respect comes from knowledge, New York Teacher, November 20, 2002.
- “Two professors”, Campus Update, to be recognized for outstanding research, vol. 13, no. 15, April 10, 2002.
- “Out-of-This-World Honor”, The Post-Standard, January 8, 2002, about my selection as a NOVA/NASA Faculty Fellow for 2001-2002.