Columbus Day Open House
The Open House will include: Admissions presentations, a chance to talk with faculty, student-guided campus tours, select tours of academic facilities and an opportunity to meet with representatives from Career Services, International Education (study abroad) and Experience-Based Education (internships). Presentations regarding financial aid and first-year academic and advisement programs are also offered. Please go to www.oswego.edu/visit to register.
Location: Marano Campus Center, Main Concourse
Monday, Oct 12, 9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Internationally recognized sculptor Coral Penelope Lambert of Alfred University will demonstrate her art, the age-old sculpting and manufacturing technique using molten iron. Free; including parking. 312-2111.
Location: Lot R13, off Iroquois Trail between Oneida Hall and The Village
Thursday, Oct 15, 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Volleyball vs Cazenovia
Location: Oswego, NY, Max Ziel Gym in Laker Hall
Tuesday, Oct 6, 7 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Men's Tennis vs. Utica
Location: Oswego, NY, Romney Tennis Courts
Wednesday, Oct 7, 4 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Alumni & Friends Event with President Stanley
Save the date. http://alumni.oswego.edu/events
Location: New York, NY, USA
Tuesday, Oct 6, 3:38 p.m. - 3:38 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, Oct 15, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Welcome to a pre-health advising page created and maintained by Dr. Jim MacKenzie in the Department of Biological Sciences at SUNY Oswego. The following information should be used as a guide by students who are interested in pursuing a career in the health sciences. This page is in no way comprehensive, and should be used as a starting point for students to explore different careers and learn more about the resources that are available to help them get the education/job that they want. To learn more about pre-health studies at SUNY Oswego, please visit the Pre-health Studies website.
Careers in the Health Sciences
Anesthesiologist Assistant - Chiropractor - Cytotechnologist - Dental Assistant - Dentist - Emergency Medical Technician - Genetic Counselor - Histologist - Home Health Aides - Medical Geneticist - Medical Imaging Specialist - Medical Technologist - Mental Health - Nursing/Nurse Practitioner - Nursing Aides - Occupational Therapy - Optometrist - Perfusionist - Pharmacologist - Physical Therapist - Physician - Physician Assistant - Podiatrist - Public Health Microbiologist - Medical Research - Radiation Therapist - Respiratory Therapist - Sports Medicine - Veterinary Medicine - and many others.
- Pre-health Studies at SUNY Oswego
- SUNY Oswego Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC)
- What major is best for pre-health studies?
- Experiential Learning (pre-health internships, jobs, etc.)
- My Health Career (designed to support future Central New York healthcare professional in all stages of development: from self-discovery tools to available scholarships to current job opportunities)
- Suggested Timeline
- Pre-MD Recommended Courses
- Dr. Walter Freund Memorial Trust (Award for pre-MD students)
- Getting into Medical School
- Applying to Medical School (including HPAC letter of recommendation information)
- What's the difference between an M.D. & D.O?
- American Medical Association
- M.D. Programs of the U.S. and Canada
- M.D./Ph.D. Programs
- Designed for those who want to become research physicians, also known as physician-investigators or physician-scientists.
- M.D. and Ph.D. training costs are generally covered by the program's funds (this means you don't pay tuition!). In addition, most M.D.-Ph.D. programs pay the students a stipend during the training years.
- M.D.-Ph.D. Training and Careers: A Guide for Potential Applicants, Current Trainees, and Advisors
- M.D./Ph.D. training programs
- Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
- All medical programs will require a letter of recommendation from the SUNY Oswego Health Professions Advisory Committee
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- Veterinary Colleges Accredited by the AVMA
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges
- Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
Naturopathic Physician (ND)
- What does a naturopathic physician do?
- Naturopathic Medicine Schools and Careers Q&A
- What states license naturopathic physicians?
- Required courses for admission
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
- U.S. Physician Assistant Programs
- National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA)
- NYS Physician Assistant Licensing
- American Physical Therapy Association
- CAPTE Accredited Physical Therapist Education Programs
- Admissions Requirements for Specific PT Programs
- New York Physical Therapy Association
- SUNY Upstate Medical University - Physical Therapy
- Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
- Kaplan GRE Preparation
- M.D./Ph.D. Programs
- SUNY Upstate Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program
- American Dental Association
- The American Association of Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS)
- Dental Admission Test (DAT)
- List of Dental Schools
- Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT)
- U.S. Pharmacy Schools
- Pharmacy School Admissions Requirements
- Optometry Admission Test (OAT)
- National Board of Examiners in Optometry
- Doctor of Optometry Admissions Requirements
- Doctor of Optometry Admitted Student Profile
- About occupational therapy
- American Occupational Therapy Association
- List of Occupational Therapy Programs
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Decker School of Nursing at Binghamton University
- American Nurses Association
- Exploring Mental Health Careers
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Psychological Association
- Psychology as a Career
- American Mental Health Counselors Association
- List of Allied Health Careers
- Allied Health Professional Associations
- Allied Health Accrediting Agencies
- Allied Health Salary Ranges
- SUNY Upstate Degrees (graduating from these prorgams results in only a SUNY Upstate degree)
- Each of the following programs has their own entry requirements and none require that you be a partuclar major while working towards completing those requirements. For information on selecting a course of study, please see here.
- Cardiovascular Perfusion
- Medical Imaging
- Medical Biotechnology
- Medical Technology
- Radiation Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Please report dead links to firstname.lastname@example.org