Third summer session begins
Location: SUNY Oswego
Sunday, July 5, 2:33 p.m. - 2:33 p.m.
Rice Creek Ramble
Guided walk showing visitors what creatures are around, what they eat and where they live. Participants should dress for the weather and call 312-6677 the morning of the hike to check trail conditions. Program size is limited; unable to accommodate groups. An adult must accompany children. Free.
Location: Rice Creek Field Station
Saturday, July 11, 11 a.m. - noon
Men's Soccer vs. St John Fisher Scrimmage (Time TBA)
Sunday, July 5, 2:29 p.m. - 2:29 p.m.
Women's Soccer vs. St. Lawrence
Tuesday, Sept 1, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, July 16, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Harborfest Housing Available
Sunday, July 5, 2:29 p.m. - 2:29 p.m.
Each student is assigned an academic advisor who is a member of the faculty. Although the student and the advisor share the responsibility for the student's progress toward the degree, the principal obligation for consulting with the advisor and understanding and fulfilling degree requirements lies with the student. The academic advisor only assists the student in making the decisions which are a part of the student's formal education. The student is assigned an advisor by the academic department in which the student has expressed interest or by the Student Advisement Center if the student is not ready to declare a major, the student is assigned an advisor from the major department.
In the Art Department, freshmen and transfer students are required to take a Colloquium course that includes objectives pertaining to developing an proper academic plan.
Some suggestions for Art Majors:
- Develop a long range plan -- Your long range plan should indicate an expected graduation date illustrating courses to be taken each semester. Students in art department majors, develop this plan in ART 111: Freshman Colloquium and ART 311: Transfer Student Colloquium. To further support students through advisement, students participate in a departmental-wide advisement event every semester that requires them to create/update their graduation plan as well as to develop a schedule for the following semester. This event takes place just prior to registration.
- Transfer students -- Students transferring from other institutions have their transfer credits evaluated as part of ART 211: Transfer Student Colloquium. Taken their first semester at Oswego, this course has as a primary objective the goal of empowering students so they can be proactive in their academic and collegiate pursuits at Oswego.
- Identify courses to be used for general education, expository writing, and world awareness requirements. Careful planning in selecting these courses allow for flexibility and opportunity for second majors or minors.
- If an internship is part of your long range plan, become familiar with the requirements of our Experienced Based Education office, and work closely with your advisor and sponsor.
Transferring into the Art Department
A student who wants to transfer from one division or school of the College to another, or to another curriculum within a division or school, must submit a completed Declaration and Change of Major/Minor/Advisor from to the Office of the Registrar. Do not assume you can transfer into an Art Department program. There may be portfolio and grade average requirements. Check with the department administrator or advisement coordinator before completing formal paperwork.
ART DEPARTMENT ADVISEMENT DAYS...
Location: Typically held in Hewitt Union BallroomTime: Last week of October in the fall, End of March or Beginning of April in the spring
Overview: The goal of the advisement session is leave with a plan for graduation and a schedule for next semester, and an understanding of what is needed to do to graduate on time. Before the advisement session students are asked to:
- Review their degree progress in DegreeWorks (study guide available for download)
- Create a plan for graduation (form available for download)
- Create a schedule plan for the next semester (form available for download)
- Write down specific questions they need answers to during the advisement session students will have an advisor check their plan, schedule and make adjustments when needed.
For more information contact:
Art Department Advisement Coordinator
23 Hewitt Union
Art Department Chairperson
Office: 23A Hewitt Union or 32 Lanigan Hall
Phone: 315-312-2111 or 315-312-5624