Advisement Guide

General Advisement

Brief Introduction to Advisement

Incoming First Year Students are assigned a First Year Advisor from his or her major in a closely related department. These specially trained advisors contact the students prior to the start of classes and assist the student with the transition from high school to college by meeting regularly throughout the first year. Each academic department has an advisement coordinator responsible for assigning advisors to transfer students and current students declaring a major in that department.

First semester freshman and first semester juniors are required to meet with their assigned advisors for registration. A Personal Identification Number (PIN) is assigned to each student in order to facilitate this meeting. Students need to get the PIN from their assigned advisor in order to register for the next semester's courses. The Compass (145 Campus Center) assigns advisors to all undeclared students and offers additional support to all students on academic progress, college policies, and general issues related to academic success. A number of departments also have Advisement Centers, including The School of Business (BASAC), Curriculum and Instruction, Psychology, and Public Justice. These offices offer a variety of services for students.

Declaration or Change of Major

The principal academic components of SUNY Oswego are the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the School of Business, the School of Education, and the School of Communication, Media and the Arts.
A student who wants to transfer from one college or school to another, or to another curriculum within a college or school, must submit a completed Declaration/Change of Major/Minor form to the Office of the Registrar. Forms and directions for changes are available in the offices of the college or schools and the Registrar's Office. Note that transfers to certain programs may be restricted due to the large student demand for these programs.

Transfer from a college or school is normally prohibited if the student's cumulative GPA is below 2.0. The undergraduate degree program of any full-time matriculated student is expected to be completed in eight marking periods. A program must be completed within a maximum of twelve marking periods of full-time enrollment. Full-time enrollment is defined as any marking period in which the student registers for twelve or more credit hours.

Major Programs

The college maintains a list of academic majors and minors to help students make their decisions. 

The Compass

The Compass in 145 Campus Center coordinates many programs and services designed to help new students achieve academic and personal success at college, including New Student Orientation, First-Year Programs, Transfer Services,  and Undeclared Advisement. The Compass is also available to assist all students in response to questions about academic progress, college policies, and general issues related to academic success at Oswego.  In addition, when students are away from campus unexpectedly for more than 3 consecutive days and are unable to contact professors on their onw, The Compass will provide an Out of Class Notification to faculty upon student's request.

DegreeWorks Audit

DegreeWorks Audit is the primary tool for assessing and tracking progress toward degree completion at SUNY Oswego.  

Resources for Undeclared Students

How to do Well in College

Visit the following link, How to do Really Well in College, for useful tips.

US News Articles - Other useful tips on how to do well in college:

Other Helpful Advisement Links