Registering for Classes

Registering for Classes


myOswego allows student access to secure campus records online from anywhere Internet access is available. Students can view financial aid information, register for classes, print their schedule, look up their advisor, apply for graduation, and even order textbooks.

myOswego for Students:

Students have access to the following areas

  • Academic Records- View Grades, View Transcript, Apply for Graduation
  • Registration- Register for Classes, View Class Schedule, View Advisor, Pre-Order Textbooks
  • Financial Records- Review Financal Aid Information, Pay the Bill, View Account Holds
  • Personal Records- Immunization Data, View Addresses, and Change PIN

myOswego for Faculty:

Faculty have access to the following areas:

  • Academic Records- Enter Grades, View Transcipts
  • Registration- Override Full Classes, Class Roster Download
  • Class Records- View Class Roster and Fees
  • Personal Records- View Addresses, Change Your PIN

Registration Process:

Registration for continuing students begins in November for Spring courses and in April for Summer and Fall courses. Returning matriculated students register according to their seniority (i.e. seniors first, then juniors, etc...). New incoming students register for courses during orientation sessions held in the late spring and summer for Fall courses and in January for Spring courses.

Personal Identification Numbers (PIN):

First semester freshman and first semester juniors are required to meet with their assigned adviors for registration. A Personal Identification Number (PIN) is assigned to each student in order to facilitate this meeting. Students need to get the PIN from their assigned advisor in order to register for the next semester's courses. New transfers with second semester junior status are also assigned a PIN.

Account Holds:

Before registering a student may need to respond to a question or survey related to holds on their accounts such as agreeing to the Code of Conduct and Financial Agreements.

Immunization and Meningitis Survey:

New York State requires that all students born after 1/1/57 show proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella. Students must have 2 Measles injections since the first birthday and at least 1 month apart, 1 Mumps injection since the first birthday, and 1 Rubella injection since the first birthday. A transfer student may get a copy of this information from his/her most recently attended college.

Before registering students must answer a Meningitis survey.  A hold is placed on the account until the survey is answered.

Course Search:

Tips and instructions on how to search for classes can be found at Registration Tips and Tricks

Adding Closed Courses: 

Once a course has reached full capacity (i.e. closed) an instructor MAY decide to allow additional students into his or her course.  There is no guarantee an instructor will allow additional students.  The decision is up to the individual instructor.  Many courses can not physically take more students (ex. laboratories with limited work stations).  The student should speak to the instuctor about adding a closed course.  If the instructor agrees to add them the student should fill out an Add Form, have the instructor sign it, and return it to the Registrar's Office, 301 Culkin Hall.

Taking a Course Overload:

An undergraduate student must carry a minimum of 12 semester hours per semester to be considered a full-time student for academic purposes.  An undergraduate student is permitted to take a maximum of 17 semester hours.  Exceptions are made for students majoring in Technology Education or Vocational Teacher Preparation, and for graduating seniors (who have filed at the Registrar's Office to graduate the next semester), all of whom may register for up to 18 semester hours during the advanced registration period without special written permission.  All other students may increase their course load at the beginning of the semester, during the add/drop period, with their Advisor's written permission on an add form.

Adding/Dropping Courses:

Please review the Add/Drop Course Policy for information on adding and/or dropping a course.