Campus History

Edward Austin Sheldon and an early class

The State University of New York at Oswego was founded in 1861 as the Oswego Primary Teachers' Training School by Edward Austin Sheldon (above, center), who embraced and popularized some of the most innovative teaching methods of his day. In 1913, the campus moved from the city of Oswego to the current lakeside location following the construction and opening of what is now known as Sheldon Hall.

In 1942, state legislation elevated the institution from a normal school to the degree-granting Oswego State Teachers College. In 1948, Oswego became one of the State University of New York's charter members. To meet the expanded need for specialized instruction, the institution broadened its academic perspective to become a full-fledged arts and sciences institution in the SUNY system and featuring a range of liberal and professional studies by 1962.

Oswego's student body quadrupled during the 1960s and early 1970s, which was a busy time of building on campus as well -- 29 new buildings opened in the 1960s alone. The institution divided into the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business and School of Education in 1992. Oswego spun off the School of Communication, Media and the Arts in 2007. The College of Arts and Sciences became the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in 2008.

The campus today consists of 58 buildings with classroom, laboratory, residential and athletic facilities. Recent years have witnessed the launch of a $700 million campus-wide renovation and renewal program, highlighted by the October 2006 opening of the Campus Center – the college's first new building in 35 years — and the anticipated 2013 opening of a $120 million science complex.

Oswego is one of 13 university colleges in the SUNY system. More than 8,200 students enroll, and there are more than 73,000 living alumni with known addresses. Oswego offers more than 110 undergraduate majors and minors and graduate programs.