Workshops and Seminars
Concert: Bach cello suites by Matt Haimovitz
Renowned Israeli-born soloist Matt Haimovitz performs all six Bach cello suites, while visiting four Central New York locations. (The “moveable feast” begins with a Tuesday live-at-noon broadcast from the studios of WCNY FM (91.3), followed by a 3 p.m. appearance at the River’s End Bookstore. The musical tour resumes at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Tyler Gallery in Penfield Library.) The remaining suites at 7:30 p.m. Sheldon Hall: $15 ($5 for SUNY Oswego students), including parking in lots adjacent to and across Washington Boulevard from Sheldon Hall. http://www.oswego.edu/arts. 312-2141.
Location: Ballroom, Sheldon Hall
Wednesday, Sept 16, 7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Author talk: "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves"
Karen Joy Fowler, author of this year's Oswego Reading Initiative book, "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves," will speak. Shortlisted for the international Man Booker Prize in 2014, the book examines life from the perspective of young adult Rosemary Cooke and her primate "sister," weaving a humorous, poignant and multilayered plot around the theme of scientific experimentation with animals as well as animal rights. Fowler is the author of six novels, two of them New York Times bestsellers. Free; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 312-2232.
Location: Ballroom, Sheldon Hall
Wednesday, Sept 30, 7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Men's Soccer Tournament - William Paterson vs. Houghton
Location: Oswego, N.Y. - Laker Turf Stadium
Friday, Sept 4, 3 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Women's Soccer vs. University Pittsburgh-Greensburgh
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Soccer Field
Friday, Sept 4, 3 p.m. - 5 p.m.
2015 New Jersey Event
Find out more and register: http://bit.ly/1T3Y0iT
Location: Ridgewood Country Club 96 W. Midland Ave., Paramus, N.J.
Thursday, Sept 17, 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, Sept 17, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
The Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching offers various workshops and seminars for faculty and staff. Fall semester workshops include:
- Friday, August 28th - "Jump Start on Teaching" - John Kane (12:40 - 1:35 pm in 123 Penfield) (new faculty/staff workshop)
- Friday, September 18th - "Using ANGEL to generate a mastery learning quizzing system" - John Kane (12:40 pm - 1:35 pm in 123 Penfield). A video recording of an earlier version of this presentation is available here (a screen capture version is also available).
- Friday, September 25th - Saturday, September 26th - Fifth SUNY-Oswego Symposium on Learning and Teaching, A Celebration of Meaningful Learning: Engaging Students
- Friday, September 25
- Peer-reviewed poster session - 1-3 pm in the Campus Center across from the Point
- reception for keynote speaker, poster presenters, and interested faculty and staff - CC 120 - 3:00 - 4:00 pm
- "Performance-based Learning and Multidimensional Assessment Methods" - Michael "Bodhi" Rogers, (4:00 pm - Campus Center Auditorium - CC 118)
- dinner with keynote speaker, poster presenters, and interested faculty and staff (5:30 - 7:00 pm - CC 120) - $8 fee for those not presenting posters. If you wish to attend, contact firstname.lastname@example.org by September 18, 2009
- Saturday, September 26
- "Getting students to work together -- is it really possible?" - workshop led by Michael "Bodhi" Rogers, (8:30 pm - 1:30 pm - CC 114) - coffee, bagels, and lunch will be provided to all participants thanks to a grant provided by Auxiliary Service. To participate, contact email@example.com by September 21, 2009
- Tuesday, September 29th - "Arts, Identity, and Diaspora" - John Shaffer (12:40 pm - 1:35 in 123 Penfield). To participate in this workshop over the internet. click on this link.
- Friday, October 2nd – "Preparing Effective Materials for Retention, Promotion and Tenure" - Provost Coultrap-McQuin and the Deans of each School and College (12:00 pm - 1:30 pm - Starting in Sheldon Ballroom, breakout sessions in Sheldon 326, 328, 335, and 336)
- Monday, October 5th - "Getting clickers to work for you: the technical aspects" - Larry Fuller (12:40 pm - 1:35 pm in Library Instruction Room I) (watch the video of an April 17, 2009 version of this presentation)
- Friday, October 9th - "Using Clickers in the classroom: How might they be used to increase student learning?" - Bill Goffe (12:40 - 1:35 in 123 Penfield) (watch the video of an April 3, 2009 version of this presentation)
- Wednesday, October 14th - "Student Grant Workshop: Helping Students Prepare for SCAC Grants" - Carolina Ilie and Kathy Budd (12:40 - 1:35 in 123 Penfield) (watch the video)
- Thursday, October 15th - "White Papers and Elevator Talks" - ORSP (noon - 1 pm in 123 Penfield) Once the meeting begins, you may participate remotely by clicking on this link.
- Friday, October 16th - "Team-Based Learning in the Economics Classroom"-Bill Goffe (12:40 - 1:35 pm in 123 Penfield) (watch the video)
- Friday, October 23rd - "Brave New World of Social Media" -Tim Nekritz (12:40 - 1:35 in 123 Penfield) (watch the video)
- Friday, October 30th - "Second Life and Higher Education" - John Kane (12:40 - 1:35 in 123 Penfield)
- Friday, November 6th – "Blogging as a Tool for Reflective Writing" - Greg Ketcham (12:40 pm - 1:35 pm in 123 Penfield)
- Thursday, November 12th - "Understanding budgets" - ORSP (noon - 1 pm in 123 Penfield)
- Friday, November 13th - "Achieving Excellence: Serving Underrepresented Students" - Elyzabeth Wengert, Director OLS and Dr. Adrianne Morton, Director of McNair Scholars and the C-Step program (12:40 - 1:35 in 123 Penfield) (watch the video)
- Monday, November 16th - "Proven ways to improve your student evaluations" - Bill Bosch (12:40 pm - 1:35 pm in 123 Penfield) (watch the video)
- Friday, November 20th - "What Do the Students Say?: Results of the WAC Survey of Undergraduates on Writing." - Michael Murphy (12:40 pm - 1:35 pm in 123 Penfield) (watch the video)
- Monday, December 7th - "Do you JITT? Benefits of using Just In Time Teaching," Carolina Ilie, (12:40 pm - 1:35 pm in 123 Penfield) (watch the video)
Friday, December 11th - "End-of-term wrap up: Sharing first-term experiences" - John Kane (12:40 - 1:35 pm in 123 Penfield) (new faculty/staff workshop)
- Friday, December 18th - "Synchronous distance learning platform" - Joe Moreau and Greg Ketcham (12:40 - 1:35 pm in 123 Penfield)