First Summer Session begins
Tuesday, May 28, noon - noon
Service Awards Recognition Luncheon
The recognition luncheon honors SUNY Oswego's CSEA, Council 82, PBA and PEF employees for their years of service. $8 (admission by ticket only). 312-2230.
Location: Arena and Convocation Hall, Campus Center
Friday, June 14, noon - 2 p.m.
Location: Oswego and vicinity
Thursday, June 6, noon - noon
Thursday, June 20, noon - noon
Clickers, also known as personal response systems, have been used extensively in many colleges in recent years. A growing body of evidence indicates that, when used appropriately, clickers can be effective in enhancing student engagement and learning.
- provide one or more clicker questions every 10-15 minutes
- use clicker questions to introduce new concepts (to assess initial perceptions) and to evaluate student understanding at the close of a topic
- create clicker questions that involve critical-thinking exercises
- treat clicker questions as think-pair-share exercises in which students discuss their answers with each other before submitting responses (or have them first vote individually, followed by a discussion with a fellow student, and a revote)
- use this as a low-stakes testing environment in which wrong answers do not have a very adverse effect on grades.
- use clickers primarily as a way of taking attendance - students will resent buying a clicker that is used just to record their presence.
- primarily use clicker questions at the beginning or end of classes (or it may seem as if you are using them primarily to take attendance.
Campus standard: In spring 2012, a committee of faculty and staff selected i>clicker as the campus standard clicker. If you plan to use clickers in class, please order the i>clicker+ from the college bookstore. The use of the campus standard clicker ensures that students may buy a clicker and use it in multiple classes. Also, be sure to contact Dave McQuin to ensure that a clicker receiver will be available and installed in your classroom.
- Vanderbilt University's extensive blibliography of resources on clicker use in most academic disciplines
- Starting Point's Bibliography on using clickers in a variety of disciplines.
- Carl Weiman Science Education Initiative clicker resource web site.
SUNY-Oswego workshop videos
- "Using i>clickers"- Kathy LaQuadra, Senior Technology Specialist at i>clicker, August 29, 2012
- "Using Clickers in the Classoom: How Might They be Used to Increase Student Learning?" - Bill Goffe and Larry Fuller, April 3, 2009
Setting up i>clicker for first time use
- Download i>clicker software configured for SUNY-Oswego and unzip this zipped folder to a usb drive.
- Go to the directory containing these files on your usb drive and double click on iclicker. Select New, and define your course title, number and section number.
- Highlight your newly defined class and select "Choose"
- Click on "My Settings"
- On the General tab, enter the id of your instructor remote (found on the label on the back)
- On the CMS/Registration tab, select "ANGEL"
- On the Polling tab, used the Normal size and Medium or Low transparency (this may be changed later)
- On polling the polling tab, for the timer, select "Count down" from the time you are allowing for a question (1:00 - 1:30 is recommended, this can be changed later)
- On the scoring tab, enter the number of points for session participation, response points (for all responses, correct or incorrect) and the points for correct response.
- Leave the other tabs unchanged initially (you may change these settings later). Click on "Set for Course"
- When ready to use this in class, reload i>clicker, select the class, and click on Start Session. Use the remote to begin questions and to display responses
Setting up i>clicker / ANGEL integration
- Download and follow the instructions on setting up the i>clicker registration nugget in your ANGEL course shell.
- Click on i>grader, select your class, and follow the directions on screen. (Whenever you load or reload the ANGEL roster, you will have to exit i>grader and then restart the program before uploading grades.)
If you need assistance in integrating clicker scores into your ANGEL gradebook, contact John Kane (email@example.com)