Volleyball vs Cazenovia
Location: Oswego, NY, Max Ziel Gym in Laker Hall
Tuesday, Oct 6, 7 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Men's Tennis vs. Utica
Location: Oswego, NY, Romney Tennis Courts
Wednesday, Oct 7, 4 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Alumni & Friends Event with President Stanley
Save the date. http://alumni.oswego.edu/events
Location: New York, NY, USA
Tuesday, Oct 6, 5:11 a.m. - 5:11 a.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, Oct 15, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Clickers, also known as personal response systems, have been used extensively in many colleges in recent years. A growing body of evidence indicates that, when used appropriately, clickers can be effective in enhancing student engagement and learning.
- provide one or more clicker questions every 10-15 minutes
- use clicker questions to introduce new concepts (to assess initial perceptions) and to evaluate student understanding at the close of a topic
- create clicker questions that involve critical-thinking exercises
- treat clicker questions as think-pair-share exercises in which students discuss their answers with each other before submitting responses (or have them first vote individually, followed by a discussion with a fellow student, and a revote)
- use this as a low-stakes testing environment in which wrong answers do not have a very adverse effect on grades.
- use clickers primarily as a way of taking attendance - students will resent buying a clicker that is used just to record their presence.
- primarily use clicker questions at the beginning or end of classes (or it may seem as if you are using them primarily to take attendance.
Campus standard: In spring 2012, a committee of faculty and staff selected i>clicker as the campus standard clicker. If you plan to use clickers in class, please order the i>clicker+ from the college bookstore. The use of the campus standard clicker ensures that students may buy a clicker and use it in multiple classes. Also, be sure to contact Bill Canning to ensure that a clicker receiver will be available and installed in your classroom.
- Vanderbilt University's extensive blibliography of resources on clicker use in most academic disciplines
- Starting Point's Bibliography on using clickers in a variety of disciplines.
- Carl Weiman Science Education Initiative clicker resource web site.
SUNY-Oswego workshop videos
- "What does research tell us about student learning?" - John Kane, September 6, 2013
- "Panel discussion on clickers" - Liz Dunne Schmitt, Kevin White, John Kane, May 31, 2013
- "What Does Research Tell us About Clicker Use?" - John Kane, May 31, 2013
- "Using i>clickers"- Kathy LaQuadra, Senior Technology Specialist at i>clicker, August 29, 2012
- "Using Clickers in the Classoom: How Might They be Used to Increase Student Learning?" - Bill Goffe and Larry Fuller, April 3, 2009
Setting up i>clicker for first time use
- Download i>clicker (v. 7.4.1) configured for SUNY-Oswego (Windows or Windows/Mac version) and unzip this to a usb drive.
- Go to the directory containing these files on your usb drive and double click on iclicker. Select New, and define your course title, number and section number.
- Highlight your newly defined class and select "Choose"
- Click on "My Settings"
- On the General tab, enter the id of your instructor remote (found on the label on the back)
- On the CMS/Registration tab, select "Blackboard"
- On the Polling tab, used the Normal size (this may be changed later)
- On the polling tab, for the timer, you may select "Count down" or "Count up." Select "Count down" if you wish to have the polling automatically end after a specified interval (1:00 - 1:30 is recommended, this can be changed later). Select "Count up" if you want to terminate the polling yourself (and not give the students a visual count down to the end of the poll).
- On the scoring tab, enter the number of points for session participation, response points (for all responses, correct or incorrect) and the points for correct response.
- Leave the other tabs unchanged initially (you may change these settings later). Click on "Set for Course"
- When ready to use this in class, reload i>clicker, select the class, and click on Start Session. Use the remote to begin questions and to display responses
Setting up i>clicker / Blackboard integration
Information on setting up Blackboard integration for your course is available here.
If you need assistance in integrating clicker scores into your ANGEL gradebook, contact John Kane (firstname.lastname@example.org)